Monday, January 17, 2005

The West Coast Cold, Pessimistic, Emotional Deconstructionist

Someone has asked me to comment further on dating, and I will honor that request because it is one of the few things that can set off every human emotion.

Like life, you can only become really good at dating by being really bad at it. So, at this point I am only left to reason that I must be really good at it. Especially after heeding the only advice my mother has ever shared with me on the topic. You’ve probably heard me quote her before.

“If you find someone you like, run the other way.”

If you do not take this to heart, you will either lose the person you are seeing, or otherwise stall in your pursuit of being really good at dating.

Run the other way.

I hate it when people call this Playing Games. Civilization, work, family, physics, checkers, friendship, cooking; all these things have rules. So it doesn’t make sense that you have such a hard time accepting that Eagerness and Accessibility have the stench of rotted death. No one wants to be around that. Neither do you.

Fine, it may be a little messed up. As we’ve established, the truth is that everyone is messed up. You are messed up, and I am messed up. It’s only fitting that the process be messed up.

A close friend of mine said it best one evening as I was driving him home from the airport. Mind you, this friend has failed in his pursuit of being a really good dater, as he has found himself in love with a remarkable girl. I still place great value on his words, though. And he shared with me this:

“A relationship is really just two fucked up people trying to figure their shit out together.”

Beautiful and succinct. Riccio, you are a brilliant man.

Check him out at www.cathexismusic.net

As for me, I will return to the life of being a really good dater. I will head back out onto that meandering track. For the race is long, and it’s always best to kept your laces untied.

And remember, as you all should, the last moments of Chariots of Fire,

“God made me. But he also made me fast.”

2 Comments:

At January 21, 2005 at 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good excuse for not committing to anyone. Maybe you just haven't found the right one yet. Or maybe it is just easier to run. Good luck.

 
At January 25, 2005 at 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Mark definitely has found the right one...many times...again and again...but he's special...and that's okay. Sometimes you need to run the other way to figure out what you want...it's certainly better than running into the same wall knowing it's not gonna move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home